Tuesday, February 01, 2005

B-oar-dom

Everyone has heard about the plight of tony’s oar, but I’ll publish the story for those in outlying areas like London and Malaysia to read about.

2 years ago, Tony and some other keen dragonboaters purchased for themselves a fully sic black carbon paddle from burnwater in canada. Tony being the ever generous and supportive coach, lent his $250 USD carbon oar to Terence during the Australian National team training 2004. Terence, absent minded as usual :), left the oar at Penrith on the last day of training… However, he managed to secure another oar from to take to the races in China… Anyways, Joe passed me his oar to give back to Tony (this bit I don’t understand – Joe why are you so generous? Just give your oar away like that?) who had since moved to HK. So I travelled in business class with the paddle in luggage.

When I arrived at the baggage carousel in Singapore I was one of the first off the plane. There was only 1 item out – going round and round the carousel all by its lonesome was Tony’s oar from Joe – sitting in its own luggage box, bubble wrapped with stickers all over. A group of 5 aussie ang-mor guys were standing around looking at it – “what the hell happened to that broom?!?” Tony’s oar was snapped clean through at about 5cm from the handle…

I’ve never laughed so hard in my life!!!

Sorry Tony. Qantas is chasing the claim through for us.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bex said...

clear as carbon har. the only real winner here is JOE. except now he wants to borrow my carbon paddle...except it's not really my paddle because some dodgy shit on the OZ team STOLE my brand new one that was not defaced wiht any stickers or marks of any kind and swapped it with their older carbon paddle which has ugly stickers on it. NOT HAPPY JAN.

BTW carbon paddles dont mean shit when you race against 40 year old chinese women who paddle in basketball shorts, white tshirst and 'traditional' wooden paddles.

Fri Feb 04, 12:31:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home