Friday, February 04, 2005

Home-maid: Living at home in the new millenium

I read an article in Time magazine the other day that highlighted a new trend in twenty-somethings. We’re all living at home, despite approaching “over the hill” status!

Quick mini tally in my head shows that 50% of my friends still live at home, while the other half have moved out of the nest and into their own abode. You guessed it, the freeloaders are all asian!

Is this yet another indication of our superior calculative brain powers, or just a reflection of the chasm between ang-mor and chinese? Why have we chosen to cling to this last bastion of chinese culture? Are we making sure we get our moneys worth before we move out, only to have our parents move back in with us, this time an all-expenses-paid, free-loading trip for them?

Then I realised that living at home is the new form of freedom for us aussie bred chinese folk – freedom from any chores & all responsibility!
  • With the right training, your parents will sit quietly through the sex & the city –athon and 3 back to back episodes of will & grace followed by Gilmore girls, without even asking for the control… all on the family funded flat screen tv
  • You can use the entertainment room to play rounds of Singstar with friends, kicking the rest of your family to the equally functional (if not as impressive) upstairs tv, kitchen tv or bedroom tv
  • When you know you’re going to lao-sai really bad, you can always use your parents bathroom – she’s had heaps more practise cleaning toilets anyway
  • Your old-skool chinese dishwasher (aka mum) is way better than those SMEG ones, due to the automatic dish clearing and putting away function. Although they do tend to be a bit noisy and whine a lot!

Hmmm… maybe living at home is not so bad… Something to think about while I eat my home made salad from my mummy (she made it for me before she left for work this morning).

4 Comments:

Blogger Bex said...

OMG. That sounds exactly like my life...I used to think that living at home meant that my personal development was slightly retarded...but as I get older (and closer to being over the hill) I realise (with great wisdom and comfort) that I'm living the good life!!

PS - Nat, your parents dont watch SATC because of you, they secretly love watching all the sex...just as long as they dont' believe you're behaving like Sammantha.

Fri Feb 04, 12:15:00 AM

 
Blogger gnatski said...

OMG - that reminds me - one downside of living at home is the faint sounds of oldie sex drifting across the hallway... ugh!

Fri Feb 04, 10:38:00 AM

 
Blogger Bex said...

who is that cher kai person leaving comments on your blog in a feeble attempt to get us to check his site out! ha!

Fri Feb 04, 12:26:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After living with you for 22 years of my life, I've realised I have NO idea what's going on down your end of the hallway.

And bad natty - here I was thinking I was a big leech!

j

Fri Feb 04, 03:48:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home